2023 Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) Rates

Updated: October 25, 2022

Table of Contents

    Military service members may receive a 4.2% Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) rate increase in 2023, according to the draft 2023 defense budget.

    Proposed 2023 BAH increases are subject to change during the FY2023 defense budget legislative process.

    BAH covers 95% of housing expenses while service members pay the remaining 5% out of pocket. However, grade and dependency status determine service members’ out of pocket rates. Veterans using the Post-9/11 GI Bill receive BAH based on their school’s zip code. 

    Troops saw a 5.1% BAH increase in 2022 after Congress passed the 2022 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA).

    Check out the calculator below to see the 2022 BAH rates, which went into effect on Jan. 1, 2022.

    2022 BAH Calculator

    Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH)

    Enter Duty zip code and not residence zip code. BAH rates are based on duty zip code.


    loading...

    * Enter Duty zip code and not residence zip code. BAH rates are based on duty zip code.
    ** Click here for the OHA calculator (Overseas Housing Allowance calculator)

    About Basic Allowance for Housing

    Military BAH provides housing cost assistance to service members who are living in or permanently stationed in the United States.

    Military members who are permanently stationed outside of the United States receive a different type of housing allowance called the Overseas Housing Allowance or OHA.

    How Are BAH Rates Set?

    To determine BAH, the Department of Defense (DOD) collects annual rental housing cost data for approximately 300 military housing areas in the United States. This data includes average rent and utility costs.

    Annual BAH increases represent the average for each military housing area. So, enacted 2023 BAH rates may vary based on military members’ duty station zip codes.

    For example, New York City, Honolulu, Chicago and other areas with high costs of living have higher BAH rates. Rural towns and cities with a lower cost of living receive a lower BAH rate.

    Military members receiving BAH in a particular area have “rate protection” while stationed there, according to DOD. Their rates will not decrease, even if the housing market declines. However, military members moving into an area after a market decline may receive a lower BAH rate.

    Historical BAH Rate Increases

    YearProposed Increase/DecreaseActual Increase
    20234.6%TBD
    20223.1%5.1%
    20212.90% – 3.70%2.90%
    20202.90%2.8%
    20192.90%2.55%
    20182.90%0.7%
    20172.90%2.4%
    20161.30%3.4%
    2015-5.00%0.5%
    20144.20%5.00%
    20134.20%3.80%
    20124.20%2.0%


    Written by Brittany Crocker

    Brittany Crocker is Veteran.com’s managing editor and serves as the publication’s veteran review board president. She is a veteran with over 11 years of military service and equal time working in civilian journalism and media. Crocker received both her bachelor’s and master’s degrees from the University of Missouri School of Journalism and was a 2016-2017 White House Press Correspondents Association scholar. During her early journalism career, Crocker worked to expose organized crime, hate groups and deadly regulatory oversights in the childcare, aviation and tourism industries. Her award-winning columns, narrative features and investigations have spanned multiple coverage areas and influenced life-saving policy changes. Now she’s on a mission to serve her fellow veterans and service members digestible, researched and credible finance and benefit information.

    Military & Veteran Discounts

    Want 30+ Military / Veteran Discounts to use today? Enter your email for updates and we'll send them straight to your inbox!

    Get Started

    All information is completely confidential.
    By clicking ‘Get Discounts’ you agree to our Privacy Policy.