Naval Base KitsapUpdated: August 22, 2023
Located on the Kitsap Peninsula, Naval Base Kitsap ranks as the third-largest Navy base in the U.S., with more than 15,000 active duty personnel. The base consists of installations in Bremerton, Bangor, Indian Island, Manchester, and Keyport. Recognized for its excellence, it won the Commander in Chief’s Award for Installation Excellence in 2005 and 2017.
120 Dewey Street
Bremerton, WA 98314
What Kind of Base is Naval Base Kitsap?
Naval Base Kitsap is West Puget Sound’s home for the Navy’s fleet. It supports surface ships and fleet ballistic missile submarines. As one of four U.S. Navy nuclear shipyards and two strategic nuclear weapons facilities, it boasts the West Coast’s only dry dock to accommodate a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier. The base aids various combat commands, tenant activities, ships’ crews, and civilian employees, making it the most prominent naval organization in Navy Region Northwest
Naval Base Kitsap Housing
Naval Base Kitsap offers privatized housing managed by Hunt Military Communities. Active duty military and DoD civilians should first approach the Housing Services Center. Over 1,700 homes are available on-site, with single service member housing and pet-friendly options in some units. Additional housing options can be found off-base in nearby communities.
There are also off-base housing options available in the nearby communities.
How to Apply For Housing
To apply for on-base housing, contact 360-627-4024. Family members above ten must possess a dependent I.D. card. For I.D. information, call Bremerton at 360-476-2211 or Bangor at 360-396-5731. Those assigned to Puget Sound Activities should register their vehicles at the Pass and I.D. Office, ensuring they have valid insurance and state driver’s licenses.
PCS and TDY Lodging
For Temporary Duty (TDY) and Permanent Change of Station (PCS) personnel, lodging is available at the Navy Gateway Inn & Suites in both Bremerton (360-824-3337) and Silverdale (360-930-68300). If traveling with pets, check for pet-friendly room availability.
What is the BAH for Naval Base Kitsap?
BREMERTON, WA BAH Rates
Military Housing Area: WA306
|Grade||With Dependents||Without Dependents|
Naval Base Kitsap Surrounding Area
The base’s vicinity boasts outdoor attractions, with the Puget Sound providing boating, fishing, and wildlife experiences. Local landmarks include the Puget Sound Navy Museum and the USS Turner Joy Museum Ship. Kitsap Peninsula is celebrated for its forests and parks.
Naval Hospital Bremerton provides medical services on weekdays from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. There are also three clinics, with two specializing in dental care. St. Michael Medical Center in Silverdale is another nearby healthcare option.
The Naval Base Kitsap offers a variety of childcare options through its Child Development Centers. There are five centers that cater to different age ranges, providing full-day, part-day, and hourly care services. The specific centers include:
- The Naval Base Kitsap Bremerton Infant & Toddler Child Development Center, which offers full-day daycare for infant, pre-toddler and toddler aged children.
- Kitsap Jackson Park-Bremerton Child Development Center, which offers full-day daycare for infant, pre-toddler, preschool, and toddler aged children.
- Kitsap Bangor Child Development Center, which offers full-day daycare for infant, pre-toddler, preschool and toddler aged children.
- Kitsap Jackson Park-Bremerton School Age Care Program, which offers School Year Care and Summer Camp options for school-aged children.
- Kitsap Bangor Litehouse School Age Care Program, which offers School Year Care and Summer Camp options for school-aged children
Those living on-base have a few school options that are specific to where on-base a family lives.
- Naval Base Kitsap – Bangor: Central Kitsap School District or North Kitsap School District
- Naval Base Kitsap – Bremerton/Puget Sound Naval Shipyard: Bremerton School District
- Naval Base Kitsap – Keyport: North Kitsap School District
- Jackson Park Military Family Housing: Bremerton School District or Central Kitsap School District
You’re also encouraged to speak to the School Liaison when figuring out what’s the best housing option is for your family’s education choice.