The Platinum Card® from American ExpressUpdated: September 20, 2023
When used strategically and paid in full each month, credit cards can be a great way to earn valuable rewards, avoid currency transaction fees, and add consumer protections to your purchases.
Why we love this card:
- It kicks off with a huge offer: (Get started here).
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards(R) Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year and earn 5X Membership Rewards(R) Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- What else? There are $240 in Digital Entertainment Credits – get up to $20 back in statement credits each month on eligible purchases made with your Platinum Card(R) on one or more of the following: Disney+, a Disney Bundle, ESPN+, Hulu, The New York Times, Peacock, SiriusXM, and The Wall Street Journal. Enrollment required.
- And the list goes on . . . $200 in Uber Cash (Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides). A very popular $200 Airline Fee Credit (up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at qualifying airlines).
- A $189 CLEAR Plus Credit, which will help you speed through airport security on your way with CLEAR Plus at 100+ airports, stadiums, and entertainment venues nationwide and get up to $189 back per calendar year on your Membership (subject to auto-renewal) when you use your Platinum Card(R). Learn more.
- The heavy metal card stands out from the other cards in your wallet. And for the shoppers out there, additional benefits include a $155 Walmart+ Credit (Cover the cost of a $12.95 monthly Walmart+ membership with a statement credit after you pay for Walmart+ each month with your Platinum Card. Cost includes $12.95 plus applicable local sales tax) and finally a $100 annual credit at Saks Fifth Avenue (up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually, enrollment required).
- All this for a low Annual fee of .
We believe is one of the best travel rewards cards for our readers and their families. The welcome bonus, the recurring annual benefits, the airport lounge access, and the other travel benefits make this card the premier travel rewards card to have.
Veteran.com has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Veteran.com and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the authors alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities.