Military Star Card – Benefits, DifferencesUpdated: November 19, 2017
There are two types of Military Star Cards. There is the Military Star card offered by the exchanges and then there is the Chase Rewards Mastercard Military Star Card. The main difference between the two is that one has the Mastercard logo on the credit card that can be used to make purchases anywhere Mastercard is accepted. The standard Military Star Card is only accepted at service exchanges, including Marine Corps Exchange, AAFES (“The Exchange”), Navy Exchange and Coast Guard Exchange, and can also be used for online and catalog purchases. It cannot be used anywhere else.
As of Sept. 30th, 2015 the Chase Military Star Card has been discontinued.
Active duty, reservist, retired service member, military spouses and dependents are all eligible to apply for a Military Star Card. Basically anyone with Exchange shopping privileges.
|Benefit||Military Star Card||Chase Rewards Mastercard Military Star Card|
|No annual or late fees|
|10.24% APR for retail purchases|
|10% off everything the first day you shop|
|Reduced interest rate during military activation of deployment|
|100% Refund of interest and fees during deployment|
|2% cash back for everyday purchases at Exchange, MilExch.com, Express Fuel Stations, MWR Merchants and the Commissary|
|Plus 1% back everywhere else|
|No Foreign Transaction Fees|
|Earn unlimited Cash Back rewards with no point expirations|
- $1 spent on-base = 1 point; 2,000 points = $20 Exchange gift cards (applies to both cards).
- Military Star card is accepted at all commissaries (as of 11/9/2017).
- While you are deployed, you may still make purchases, but you are not required to make monthly payments and your interest rate is temporarily reduced to six-percent (6%).
- No Annual, late or over-limit fees
- Free standard shipping on shopmyexchange.com and myNavyExchange.com
- The military can take payment from your bank account for missed payments.
- Must be paid as soon as you get out of the military.
- Standard Military Star card can only be used at the exchanges and commissaries.