Fort Riley

Updated: August 25, 2023
Fort Riley
In this Article

    Located in North Central Kansas, between Junction City and Manhattan, Fort Riley is a U.S. Army installation. Its mission is to train combat-ready forces for decisive action in complex environments.

    Base Operator:

    500 Huebner Road
    Fort Riley, KS 66442

    Fort Riley History

    Fort Riley is home to the 1st Infantry Division, or “Big Red One.” Established in 1853 to safeguard the Oregon, California, and Santa Fe trails, it boasts a storied history. From serving as a cavalry post to training troops for World Wars and the Gulf War, the base continues its legacy of training and deploying soldiers globally.

    Fort Riley Housing

    Corvias Military Living manages privatized family housing on Fort Riley, spread across five neighborhoods. Assignment depends on rank and the number of bedrooms needed, affecting the wait time. Households can have up to two pets, either dogs or cats. If you want more animals, you’ll need special approval from the Garrison Commander.

    How to Apply For Housing

    To apply for housing at a military base, the first step is to contact the housing office at the base where you are assigned. For Fort Riley, the contact number is 785-717-2258. The housing office will then guide you through the process, which may include a waiting period depending on availability.

    PCS and TDY Lodging

    InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) operates the Candlewood Suites Hotel for temporary lodging. If you’re considering a stay here or in one of the guest houses, families undergoing a Permanent Change of Station (PCS) can book once they receive their orders. Call 785-560-3080 or DSN 312-856-2830 to reserve your spot.

    Note: Keep in mind the government covers PCS-related lodging for just ten days. For reimbursement details, reach out to your Finance Office.


    What is the BAH for Fort Riley?

    The Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) at Fort Riley varies depending on rank, years of service and dependency status. Visit the Kansas state BAH page or see the chart below for more information.



    Military Housing Area: KS100

    Grade With Dependents Without Dependents
    E01 $1,125 $867
    E02 $1,125 $867
    E03 $1,125 $867
    E04 $1,125 $867
    E05 $1,236 $954
    E06 $1,671 $1,254
    E07 $1,698 $1,275
    E08 $1,728 $1,326
    E09 $1,800 $1,452
    W01 $1,692 $1,272
    W02 $1,713 $1,323
    W03 $1,749 $1,470
    W04 $1,824 $1,677
    W05 $1,920 $1,704
    O01E $1,701 $1,281
    O02E $1,740 $1,425
    O03E $1,836 $1,665
    O01 $1,293 $1,011
    O02 $1,668 $1,278
    O03 $1,746 $1,512
    O04 $1,947 $1,692
    O05 $2,094 $1,707
    O06 $2,106 $1,725
    O07 $2,121 $1,752

    For more information, look at BAH rates by state or calculate your exact BAH rate.


    Fort Riley Surrounding Area

    Nearby towns includes Junction City and Manhattan. Manhattan is the home to Kansas State University. The region offers tranquility, friendly locals, the Kansas River, the picturesque Flint Hills, and historical sites like the Post/Cavalry Museum.

    Fort Riley Inprocessing and Check-in

    When arriving at Fort Riley military base, the inprocessing and check-in procedures are clearly defined. Soldiers must first sign into the installation through the 1st Replacement Staff Duty desk located in Building 210 on Custer Avenue. Required documents include a copy of their DA31 signed out by the losing unit, three copies of orders, and medical and dental records. The in-processing Staff Duty desk is manned 24/7.

    • If a Soldier has a pre-approved permissive temporary duty for house hunting, they must visit the housing office (Building 210) a day prior or on the start day of PTDY, stamp, and complete PTDY before signing into the installation.
    • For those arriving via air and landing in Manhattan, Wichita, or Kansas City airports and needing transportation, they can call the 1st Replacement Staff Duty desk at 785-239-2119. Authorized modes of transportation include taxi, bus or Uber, and receipts must be kept for reimbursement.
    • Inprocessing at Fort Riley typically takes five to eight working days to complete. All Soldiers, regardless of rank, are required to attend the weekly 1ID Victory Welcome held each Wednesday.

    Vehicle Registration

    Vehicle registration at the base is a crucial process for all personnel. To register your vehicle, you will need to bring essential documents such as your PCS orders, DA FM 31 signed by the losing unit, birth certificates, marriage license, divorce decrees and legal adoption documents if applicable. It’s important to note that personal firearms are not authorized on the installation without prior registration, which can be completed at the Access Control Center or the Military Police Station.


    Fort Riley offers on-post medical care at Irwin Army Community Hospital. (IACH) To book an appointment at IACH, call 785-239-3627. Medical services prioritize active duty military first. Their family members come next, followed by retired military personnel and their families. IACH doesn’t offer some specialty care services. Both emergency and mental health care services are accessible at IACH.

    Fort Riley houses two pharmacies.

    Dental care at Fort Riley caters primarily to active duty military. However, emergency dental services extend to other eligible individuals.


    There are six Child Development Centers on-post. They range from infant, toddler, and preschool care to school year and summer camp programs for children.


    There are five elementary schools and a middle school on-post. The Geary County Unified School District runs them.

    Off-post schooling options include more than 16 other regional school districts. To learn more about school applications, call the School Liaison Officer at 785-240-3261.

    Written by Team