Tamila McDonald

Tamila McDonald is a U.S. Army veteran with 20 years of service, including five years as a military financial advisor. After retiring from the Army, she spent eight years as an AFCPE-certified personal financial advisor for wounded warriors and their families. Now she writes about personal finance and benefits programs for Veteran.com.

Articles by TamilaMcDonald

How to get a copy of DD-214 Form

How to Get a DD-214 Copy

Updated: November 9, 2022

You will need a DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, to claim certain military benefits, college education discounts, veteran preference in hiring, VA loans, medical benefits, association membership, veteran’s funeral benefits, school enrollment and other benefits. How to Get a Copy of Your DD-214 There are several ways veterans, family members and […]

Read More

2023 Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) Rates

Updated: January 8, 2023

On Dec. 14, 2022, the U.S. Department of Defense released Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) rates for 2023. The latest BAH rates increased an average of 12.1% starting on Jan. 1, 2023, marking the largest percent increase in over a decade. BAH covers 95% of housing expenses, while service members pay the remaining 5% out […]

Read More
Military proxy marriage

How Proxy Marriage Works for Military Members

Updated: December 23, 2022

  Weddings can be difficult to plan when one or both partners are in the military. Deployments and geographical separation can slow things down. But, if you need to get married faster to add your partner to your insurance plan or another military benefit, a proxy marriage may be a good option. Proxy marriages allow […]

Read More

Military & Veteran Discounts

Want 30+ Military / Veteran Discounts to use today? Enter your email for updates and we'll send them straight to your inbox!

Get Started

All information is completely confidential.
By clicking ‘Get Discounts’ you agree to our Privacy Policy.

Check VA Loan Eligibility